Jump to Navigation

Ways to Collect Back Child Support

Often parents will obtain an order awarding them child support and the Father or Mother is optimistic that the child support payment will ease some of the financial worries associated with supporting the child. Unfortunately, many times a parent is unable to collect the child support that is owed and an arrearage accrues. In Ohio, one of the traditional vehicle for collecting child support has been filing a contempt motion with the domestic court. A successful award on a contempt motion based on various factors can lead to jail time, attorney fees, and repayment of the accrued child support. Additionally, the non-paying spouse's driver's license, passport, and oftentimes professional licenses can be suspended until such time as the child support obligation has been repaid. While all of these tools may be useful, they also have the potential to impact the non-paying spouses earning potential and create a greater hardship for all parties involved.

Another tool that can be used is pursuing the non-paying party's retirement assets for collection purposes. This can be done through a qualified domestic relations order and can be done by agreement or by filing a motion with the court. For more information on how to pursue the various options associated with non-payment of child support contact Lawrence Law Office at www.lawrencelawoffice.com.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

Visit Our Family Law Website Subscribe to This Blog's Feed Location Information

Lawrence Law Office
496 South Third Street,
Columbus, OH 43215
Phone: 614-228-3664
Maps and Directions

24 West William Street,
Delaware, OH 43015
Fax: 740-363-0095
Maps and Directions

Phone: 740-513-2105
Toll Free: 888-483-6115